Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A little friction on the home front.

Hi Riggs, Annie, et al. Coco here still playing second fiddle to a batch of puppies. Oh, they are the cutest things you've ever seen, but they DO get almost all the attention. Originally, Jodie and I thought that we'd still get our share, but I don't think it's true. Moreover, there was a skirmish between Sandy and Jodie yesterday and it scared me to no end. See, most of the time, Jodie is a real mellow yellow lab. Most of the time. But sometimes she just wants to be left alone. When she's in one of those moods, if I get near her she growls. If one of the folks gets near her she growls. The folks ignore her and scratch her belly and Jodie just mellows out. Well, Sandy approached Jodie and Jodie growled. Next thing I know it's a real dog fight with Mom in the middle trying to break it up. It only lasted a few seconds and I didn't see much because I was running for a bedroom. Jodie went to her bed and in a few moments Mom was in there with some clear liquid and a cotton ball to wash off two places where Sandy drew blood. I've been a bit leery about being around the two of them or between the two of them, but it seems to be a one time spat and they run around together as before.

I have to admit that Sandy is one heck of a scrapper. Perhaps it's because she came from a home with so many dogs that she had to protect herself. Now, I don't think I'm unreasonable and I'm usually very easy to get along with, but when I'm tired, I'M TIRED!!! I don't want to play, I don't want to get licked. I just want to be left alone. So when Sandy approached, I let out just a little growl to let her know that she should leave me alone. I never dreamed that she would attack me. She's smaller than I am, but golly is she fast. At any rate, it's over now and we're friends again. The folks didn't seem to give it a lot of thought as they are so busy with the nine wee ones.

Yeah, well Jodie and Sandy got in trouble again this morning, but not with each other. We were just going outside to do business when a young woman came running down the street. Sandy, who has been very quiet for the most part, raced down the yard barking like crazy. She ran right down the driveway, crossing the place that bites. Being the good girl that I am, I just sat down near the garage. Jodie also ran for the street, but she ran through the woods to get there. Apparently Jodie thinks that there is no bite in the woods, but she is wrong and she will learn. The poor woman was terrified and the folks were very irate. The two yellow dogs were harshly scolded and Jodie got double. Of course, I didn't get in any trouble, but I kept out of the way anyway.

Even as I was running for the street I knew it was wrong, but with Sandy ahead of me, I just went for it. I know that there is a point in the driveway that bites me, but I think that there is a way through the woods that allows me to get to the street with out getting zapped.

Jodie, you are supposed to be the smart one here, but you are a fool if you think that you won't get zapped in the woods. I notice that you are wearing that special collar again and I promise you that if you wander through the woods near the road, you will get a good bite. I know I found just where I can go and where I can't.

What can I say? Us Labs have a special need to get into mischief once in a while.....right, Riggs?

Right now, I feel like the smart one in the family, so you can say "Good night" Jodie.

OK, I'll play the role......Goodnight Jodie.

Over and out, Folks.

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys Annie here Coco I'm like you when trouble starts I'm out there I just like playing and sleeping. The other night we had a storm and it scares me so bad I got in bed with mom and dad.Now Max is a hole diffrent story he is not scared of anything and he is the smallest one here.Got to go now dad is calling me to eat. Annie,Max,Lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodie & Coco, This is your buddy Rigg's, Glad to see Jodie & Sandy are back being friends,I had a yellow dog that was nipping at me at the doggie park when I was playing tug with a Siberian Husky, have you ever met one of these, they can really pull but I think I was doing okay with him, anyway instead of a nip that yellow dog bit me in the right leg so I went after him and chased him off, Dad and the Lady that owned the Husky were really proud of me and Dad said, Rigg's good job you have to defend yourself.I will from now on it's not fun getting bit. Hey one thing you guys need to remember is those puppies will only be around a couple of months and then they will go to there forever homes and you will be back to normal, Dad says your Mom & Dad are doing a great thing helping those pups so just be patient. Hey Jodie I got in trouble too, I was playing steal and I stole the remote control again, I decided to run around the couch where Dad couldn't reach me, Dad was smarter and picked up a broom and spanked my behind once with the brush end of it, I only got it once but I dropped the remote and headed for the hills, Dad called me over and gave me lovin and pets and said not to steal anymore. Even when I'm bad he still loves me.Hey hope you guys are enjoying the water, it's still warm enough for me to swim too. Hope I see you sometime. Your MO buddy Rigg's.

    ReplyDelete