Friday, September 2, 2011

Changes in the Pecking Order

JODIE: There have been some changes in the pecking order here at Tempesta's Hacienda. No, it's not what you think, I'm still the TOP DOG, the ALPHA FEMALE. Coco is still number two and that makes Sandy number three. The change is sort of performance related. See, I could always out run Coco and Coco could always out swim me. Now that Sandy is part of our pack, she has come to dominate the field in running and swimming. OK, with her long legs and lean body the running was a no brainer, but the swimming?


Here's how Sandy got her start.

Sandy would have no part of the pool for the longest time. Coco and I would swim and Sandy would pick up a ball and run around the patio, lap, after lap, after lap. She couldn't be coaxed in the water by any means. Then Mom and Dad started picking her up and carrying her into the pool. The first few times were hilarious as Sandy would swim to the nearest side and try to climb out. Dogs can't get out that way. Neither can Dad. Eventually she realized that the steps were the only way out.

COCO: Well, there's the ladder, too.

JODIE: Yes, Coco. You are the only one who can get out using the ladder, at least the only dog. I can't see how you do it, bad hips and all. Now, back to Sandy.

She used to get the balls out of the pool by waiting for them to get close to a side and she would lean over and get a ball.



Sandy's old way of fetching the ball.

Then she started going in the pool to get her special ball. Her ball is the spit covered ball with some of the fuzz taken off.

COCO: Yes, Sandy actually peels the yellow covering off the tennis balls. I watch her to make sure that she doesn't eat any of the stuff, but she just peels it off and spits it out.

JODIE: Thanks for the help Coco. I'd be lost without you.

OK, so Sandy starts fetching some of the balls herself and this is no big deal. When a ball is thrown in the water, Coco is always first on the scene because she runs around the pool to get close and leaps into the pool. Sandy and I only enter and exit the pool from the steps. I didn't notice how fast she was getting. Finally, Dad threw a few balls up the far end of the pool while Coco and Sandy were side by side in the pool. They both raced for the balls and I was flabbergasted to see Sandy out swim Coco. Her paws are not as big as mine, but they're webbed. So the long legs that give her the speed on land also give her the speed in the water. Of course,Sandy is only part Golden Retriever, the other part is Lab.




Sandy in true swimming form.


COCO: I'm the only one who dives and I'm the only one who jumps into the pool.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Girls, it's rigg's, Oh How I enjoy reading about you guys. One thing for sure Sandy you better get in training, cause I see a race in your future against the Fastest swimmer at the St Charles County Doggie park. Yep me, I am still top dog, and a lean mean swimming machine.Dad says I am over a hundred lbs of swimming muscle. Him & Mom really watch what I eat so I don't get fat and they make sure I run and swim to keep in shape. So the race will be on. Have a great time training. Your buddy Rigg's, in MO.

    ReplyDelete